Monday, May 28, 2012

Chocolate Upside-down Cake


This is one of my all-time favorite chocolate desserts for more than one reason. It is super simple, has little ingredients, and a rich flavor. However, it's at the top of the list because it is close to my heart. This recipe was rarely made for special occasions or on holidays. It was a recipe my mom would make for my sisters and me when we needed a pick-me-up or when we all craved some delicious chocolate! It is the ultimate chocolate comfort food.

For the past couple of years, no one in the family has made Chocolate Upside-down cake. My mom passed away the summer before my senior year of high school. I guess we all stayed away from this recipe because it was too hard. This passed Mother's Day, I made Chocolate Upside-down cake for the first time without my mom. It was bittersweet. However, today I see this dessert as a way to preserve a memory of a wonderful mother that will always be missed.   


Chocolate Upside-down Cake

Ingredients

Cake:
3/4 c. white sugar
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1 1/2 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract 
3/4 c. chopped nuts (optional) 

Sauce:
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1 1/3 c. boiling water

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Mix cake ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Pour into a 2 quart baking dish.
4. Mix sauce ingredients in the same bowl and pour on top of the cake batter. 
5. Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes.
6. Sprinkle cocoa on top if desired and serve warm.
7. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...