Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sesame Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels



I am trying to be a more adventurous baker and cook and try making new things.  I came across this recipe for sesame whole wheat soft pretzels in my healthy cookbook Comfort Food Fix by Ellie Krieger.  It didn't seem overly difficult, and since I've been a little intimidated by yeast I figured this would fall under the adventurous category.  All I had to do was wait for a weekend when I went to my parent's house to do laundry (and visit them of course, the perks of going to college 20 minutes from home) so that I could use my Mom's stand mixer as the recipe calls for the use of the dough hook.  I'm sure you could easily make these without the stand mixer too, just by kneading the dough a bunch.

They turned out quite delicious if I do say so myself.  They're especially good warm, so if they aren't fresh I suggest heating them up in the microwave for a few seconds before eating.  My choice of dip was spicy mustard, so yummy!



Yield: 18 pretzels

Ingredients

  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant yeast
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon water
  • 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and prepare two baking sheets with cooking spray.
  2. Using the bowl of the stand mixer, use a spoon and stir together yeast, warm water, and honey.  Once all the yeast is dissolved let sit for about 5 to 6 minutes, once the mixture begins to foam.
  3. While the yeast mixture is setting, take a different large bowl and mix together the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and salt.
  4. When the yeast mixture is ready, add flour mixture, oil, and butter and mix on low speed in the stand mixer with the paddle attachment.  After about 10 to 15 seconds the dough will begin to form.  Switch to the dough hook.
  5. On a low to medium speed, continue to mix dough for 2 to 3 minutes.  Dough should be smooth but still pliable.
  6. Will the dough is mixing, beat together egg and water in a small bowl.  Also mix sesame seeds and coarse salt on a small plate.  Set aside.
  7. Remove dough from bowl and divide into 6 equal parts (each will be about 6 ounces).
  8. Divide each of those parts into 3 equal sections (each will be about 2 ounces) and form into balls.
  9. Roll out each ball so it is about 14 inches long and twist into a pretzel shape.  (I found it easiest when rolling the dough out to start with both hands in the middle and move outward in opposite directions are the same time so dough was about the same thickness throughout.)
  10. Generously brush egg mixture onto pretzel and dip in sesame seeds and salt.  Place on baking sheet.
  11. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a golden crust is formed.  Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce!
Recipe courtesy of Comfort Food Fix by Ellie Krieger




3 comments:

  1. Kelsey, I love your presentation style. I am sure that these pretzels are not only delicious to eat...but they are so interesting to look at. They are displayed beautifully. I love how you match the color of the plate with the color of the napkin. Nice job with this blog...I am going to have to check back more frequently.

    Do you mind if I show this to some of our students....it would be fun to show them how design and presentation are important in the blogging/cooking world.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Share with whoever you'd like. My photography skills are definitely still a work in progress though.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...