Friday, January 20, 2012

Whole Wheat Beer Bread


I had the complete intention of baking a loaf of banana pecan bread today since I have a couple of spoiled bananas.  The problem is though, when I stopped at the grocery store yesterday I accidentally bought almonds instead of pecans.  What was I thinking?!  The banana pecan bread will have to wait a couple of days now, because instead I got my bread fix by making a loaf of whole wheat beer bread.

Ideally I would have been making a loaf of beer bread this weekend to enjoy while watching the Packers game, but since they lost last week that obviously will not be happening.  Since I had all of the ingredients anyways I figured I should make a loaf on this Wisconsin evening where the high temperature is in the single digits and wind chills are below zero!  I'll take any excuse to turn on the oven and add a little extra heat to our apartment.

The bread ended up being super easy to make and took less than 10 minutes to prepare.  It comes out to be rather dense and filling so I'd suggest thin slices with a little added butter.  I'm sure this bread would go great with soup or another dish but I just ate it as a snack.  Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 12 oz can of beer
  • 1/4 cup (or less if desired) melted butter

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a 9x5 in bread pan.
  2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix together.
  3. Add beer and stir until all dry ingredients are absorbed into dough.
  4. Pour dough into bread pan.
  5. Bake in oven for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Recipe slightly adapted from AllRecipes







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...