Monday, January 16, 2012

Cinnamon Roasted Almonds

One day (like many days) I was browsing random food websites and I started coming across homemade cinnamon roasted almond recipes. I instantly thought of my dad. He loves them! Conveniently, Christmas was coming up and it would be a perfect gift for him. Especially because this year I got my parents cutting boards and oven mitts (both of which were on their list), and I feel both were a little on the girly side. Don't get me wrong though, my dad cooks, and he cooks really well! I'll have to blog his bread pork tenderloin sometime in the future.

Cinnamon Roasted Almonds
adapted from Instructables

Ingredients
1 lb raw almonds (about 3 1/2 cups)
1 egg white
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbsp. butter

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees
2. Separate egg white from yoke and put in bowl. Melt butter and add to the same bowl. Add vanilla extract to the bowl as well
3. Whisk mixture with fork
4. Add the almonds. Toss until all the almonds are coated.
5. In a small bowl, add the brown sugar, white sugar, salt, and cinnamon and mix until well blended.
6. Pour the cinnamon/sugar mixture over the almonds. Stir well until the almonds are fully and evenly coated.
7. Lightly grease a cookie with oil, butter, or Pam. Spread the almonds evenly and shake gently to create one layer. 
8. Place the cookie sheet in the oven for a total of 1 hour. 
9. Stir the almonds every 20 minutes (you'll do this twice) with a large spatula. Do not worry if the coating looks melty or is coming off the almonds. The coating will harden and the stirring will help re-coat them.
10. Let cool on stovetop. Store in an airtight container.
11. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...