Friday, October 14, 2011

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones (for breakfast or dessert!)

I have been planning on making scones since summer but luckily I have been putting if off so I could make them in my favorite fall flavor - pumpkin!

But before I could make them, I needed to pick up all the ingredients. This started a huge adventure because I really wanted to find the sugar that bakeries put on their baked goods. The first (and pretty important) problem I had was that I didn't even know what that sugar was called! After some research on the internet, I found out it has quite a few names: sanding sugar, decorating sugar, coarse sugar, pearl sugar...but even though I knew the names of this large-grain sugar, I didn't know where to find it. After going to grocery store after grocery store, and even target, I finally found it at Whole Foods. The long search came to an end and I could finally make my scones, well, after I went out again to get the eggs I forgot. 
This was the first time I made scones and they turned out great! Everyone loved them! I can't wait to try this recipe again but maybe with blueberries instead of pumpkin and chocolate chips.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones 

Ingredients 
2 3/4 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice 
1/2 c. frozen butter (I took it out of the freezer probably 10 minutes before I used it)
1 package (about 2 cups) chocolate chips 
2/3 c. canned pumpkin
2 eggs
3 Tbsp (& a small amount for brushing) half and half
Decorating Sugar for topping (if you can find it) 

Directions 
1. Add all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix (flour to allspice)
2. Add the frozen butter by using a large-hole cheese grater (I got this tip from Allrecipes!) and lightly mix. Otherwise, other recipes show to cut the butter into small pieces and then use a fork to integrate it into the dry ingredients. 
3. In a different bowl, add all the wet ingredients (pumpkin, eggs, and half and half) and mix. 
4. Pour the mixed wet ingredients and chocolate chips into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix (don't over mix though). 
5. Lightly flour hands and parchment paper (I only had tin foil) that is on a cookie sheet. Shape dough into two discs of the same size and thickness (about 3/4 inch).
6. Brush a little half and half on top of the discs and sprinkle on the decorating sugar. (skip this step if you don't want the sugar on top or are substituting the sugar for a glaze).
7. Cut the discs like you would a pie or pizza for a total of 12 triangular pieces, or 6 pieces per disc. 
8. Now, not like normal baking, skip the oven and go for the freezer. Let the dough set in the freezer for about 30 minutes. 
9. While chilling in the freezer, preheat oven to 425 degrees. 
10. Place cookie sheet full of scones in the center of the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a fork comes clean after poking a scone. 
11. Cool for 5 minutes before enjoying! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...